In honor of National Ice Cream Day today, I decided to celebrate by making a homemade Funfetti Cake Batter Ice Cream. If you haven’t had cake batter ice cream before- you know when you lick the bowl and spoon after making cake batter? Well, imagine that exact flavor really cold, extra creamy, and without the fear of getting sick from the raw eggs in the back of your mind! Yep, so it’s amazing.
A direct quote from my husband: “This ice cream is dangerous.” You won’t be able to stop at one scoop. Luckily, being dairy free with maple syrup as the natural sweetener, you don’t have to worry too much about feeling sick if you eat too much!
All you have to do is put your coconut milk, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and xanthan gum in a blender and turn on high for about two minutes until creamy. Next you’re going to add your gluten free cake mix (just straight out of the box!) into the blender, and turn on again just until the cake mix is incorporated into the rest of the ingredients.
Refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 hours, and then put into your ice cream machine. Once the ice cream is your desired texture, remove from the ice cream machine and use a spatula to stir your sprinkles into the ice cream.
Eat the ice cream right out of the ice cream machine, or put the ice cream into the freezer to firm up.
This ice cream is perfect for any summer celebration (or just to have for no reason at all)! Happy National Ice Cream Day! Now go get yourself a scoop… or two 🙂
Funfetti Cake Batter Ice Cream (Dairy Free and Gluten Free)
1 can full fat coconut milk
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup maple syrup (can substitute honey)
1/2 cup gluten free cake mix
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1. Put coconut milk, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and xanthan gum in a blender. Blend for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Add cake mix and blend again until incorporated.
2. Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (though longer is okay).
3. Add mixture to ice cream maker, and make according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
4. Transfer mixture back to bowl and use spatula to stir in rainbow sprinkles.
4. Eat immediately or freeze for a firmer consistency.*
*If you freeze for later, this ice cream will get firmer than dairy ice cream in the freezer, so allow to sit on the counter for 10 minutes before scooping.