I don’t eat muffins often, but when I do, blueberry streusel muffins are my muffin of choice. I love the freshness of blueberries paired with a sweet and crunchy topping. Unfortunately, muffins like that are basically the equivalent of eating a big slice of cake for breakfast, and that’s obviously not the best of food decisions to make first thing in the morning. When I eat something “bad” for breakfast, it seriously ruins my mentality for the entire day.
If you leave off the streusel topping, these are a healthy, low carb, and grain free breakfast option that can quench your craving for a sweet treat for breakfast. With the streusel topping, they’re a bit less healthy, but still gluten free and a much better option than other desserts!
To make these muffins, in a small bowl, combine 2 cups of almond flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Set to the side.
Next, in a larger bowl, add your wet ingredients: 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, and lemon juice. Beat these together with a hand mixer until well combined. Then, slowly add your dry ingredients while continuing to beat until the batter is smooth.
In a small bowl on the side, toss your blueberries in the remaining 2 tbsp of the almond flour. This prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of your muffins. Then, fold the blueberries into the batter.
Scoop the batter into a muffin pan lined with cupcake/muffin liners. This batter should make about 10 muffins.
Lastly (now this part is optional), prepare your streusel. In a small bowl, add your blended oats, whole oats, brown sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, add the butter cut into cubes and work it in until you have course crumbs. Sprinkle a good amount of the streusel onto each muffin and gently press into batter.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 20-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.
You won’t miss the extra carbs in these muffins as they are so moist and the perfect amount of sweet. Enjoy for breakfast or dessert!
Blueberry Streusel Muffins (Gluten Free and Lower Carb
2 cups almond flour + 2 tbsp almond flour
1 heaping cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
2 egg whites
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup oats, blended until fine
1/4 cup oats, not blended
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1. In small bowl, combine 2 cups almond flour, salt, and baking soda from muffin ingredients. Set aside.
2. In medium bowl, blend eggs, egg whites, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, and lemon juice using hand mixer.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
4. Toss blueberries in 2 tbsp remaining almond flour. Fold into batter.
5. Scoop batter into 10 muffin tins lined with cupcake liner.
6. Prepare streusel by combing all ingredients except for butter. Cut butter into small cubes then work into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or your fingers until you have course crumbles. Sprinkle a good amount onto each muffin and gently press into batter.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before enjoying!